Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is the pure oil obtained from the fruit of olive trees. It is known that the chemical composition of EVOO is influenced by genetic (cultivar) and environmental factors (edaphologic characteristics and climate conditions). Due to this, the olive producing area is largely responsible for the specific characteristics of the EVOO. Since many years ago, big research efforts towards to find appropriate tools for determining the quality and authenticity of virgin olive oils have been made. These mechanisms are very welcomed by regulatory institutions, distributors and consumers because of the existence of high fraudulent activities detected around the genuineness of virgin olive oil, and consequently, its quality.
The global aim of the Consortia is to establish the “Fingerprint” of the more representative mono-varietal virgin olive oils produced in the Ebro’s Valley area of Spain. In order to achieve the goal we are aimed to build a multipurpose web platform, which will provide access to both the olive oil knowledge base, and to a useful and guided expert system able to determine the quality and origin of virgin olive oil. On the basis of innovative clustering techniques a Multiview Clustering Approach is proposed in order to find more understandable patterns o clusters of data specifics for a virgin olive oil variety with less uncertainity that the single data approach.
LINEAS DE INVESTIGACION
General Objectives of the Consortia are:
1) To conduct a comprehensive sampling, for three consecutive years, of the main mono-varietal virgin olive oils obtained from the Ebro’s Valley area of Spain.
2) To collect all data concerning the traceability of each of the virgin olive oil samples: olive tree cultivation parameters (climatology and edaphology) and olive oil extraction process parameters.
3) To create a database of mono-varietal virgin olive oils and determine the most relevant varietal markers for their authentication.
4) To perform a Multiview Clustering Approach to establish specific clusters this can act as fingerprint for a particular virgin olive oil variety.
6) To build a web platform that enables access both to the olive oil database, and to a useful and guided expert system, this could be able to determine the quality and origin of the olive oils. The web platform will be divided into three parts, distinguished by its functionalities as follows: trial support and advanced analyses, olive oil database, and olive oil expert system for stakeholders.
PRESENTATION OF THE CONSORTIUM
Consisting of four research groups (1 from each Campus Iberus University), this consortium aims to create an analysis platform for the characterization of extra virgin olive oils produced in the different areas of the Ebro Valley, with special emphasis on the identification of those oils with a high content of polyphenols that can incorporate in their label the health claim related to the role of olive oil in the prevention of cardiovascular disease.
To this end, the following activities have been planned:
- Optimization of the method of analysis and creation of an analytical platform for the analysis of polyphenol content.
- Study of the polyphenol content of virgin olive oils produced in the Ebro Valley.
- Development of a traceability system for virgin olive oils linked to the polyphenol content of each virgin olive oil.
- Strategic analysis for the creation of the NutrIberus Brand. The degree of acceptance by the consumers of olive oil brand NutrIberus will be analyzed, proposing the realization of a commercial experiment
The consortium consists of three research groups in the field of Food Technology (UdL, UR and UNIZAR), with a long research history in the study of virgin olive oil and the aspects that condition its composition and quality. The experience of these groups is reflected in their participation in a large number of publicly financed R & D projects and in agreements with companies and administrations in the olive sector. The UPNA group complements the consortium, contributing experience in the disciplines of Economy and Marketing, essential for the analysis of the economic and social impact of the production of quality olive oils and the viability of the creation of the brand NutrIberus.
MEMBERS OF THE CONSORTIUM
- Food Science
- Food Chemistry
- Functional Food
- Food Analysis
- Food Biochemistry